Thursday, February 17, 2011
Auschwitz-Birkenau
I feel your pain
Sometimes the pain increases
Your happy days
Not really happy
The pain is always in the background
Like sad music
I want you to forget everything
But this is not possible
Too sharp pain
Pain is a part of you
Your pain is part of me
Your loss strengthens me
Your loss makes me proud of who I am
Part of you
Part of your loss
You can not forget
Your loss
Our loss
You can not forget
The murder
Bleeding for years and years
Within each of us
You're getting stronger every day
From the people around you
Lifetime is still around
Fill you with love
___________________________________________________________________
This painting by David Sandum touched my heart the first time I saw it and not just because I am Jewish! ~ This painting invokes the horrible sense of this terrible place. I can feel the intense coldness and darkness. To think of the murder and the pain they felt there is unbearable.The Holocaust is not just a story ... it is a lifetime.
David is donating this painting to one of Israel's Holocaust Museums. He also has his own family story to tell as well!
More of David's amazing art can be seen here:
http://www.davidsandum.com/index.html
I dedicate this poem to my dear friend Edjo Frank who lost most of his family in the Holocaust.
Much Love to you ♥
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you for your incredible dear words and poem! When people make friend, hold hands, a better world will come for sure.
ReplyDeleteLast Tuesday I buried my last aunt, a very brave Jewsih young woman, who joined the resistance, and was deported to several concentration camps. Her father and mother were murdered in Auschwitz 1943. My aunt survived the cruelties of medical experiments and succeeded to create a rich artistic after-war life and was of importance for many people. She has peace now.
Thank you Missy. I was deeply moved by this - stirring the same feeling that made me devote a full year to study and make this painting: A feeling so deep it almost makes me wonder if it comes from within myself? It feels as a great responsibility. Sometimes I think it is my ancestors whispering. They don't want me to dwell on it, or hinder me to live a full life. But they want me to help people remember, so that their lives were not taken so horrifically in vain. Your poem explained this perfectly and made it even more real. We are them and they are us.
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your help in bringing this paiting to a place where it can speak its message.
Thank you so much for sharing your story Edjo and David ~ Thank you for all your words. you both touch me always! <3
ReplyDeleteThe painting captured my soul ~ & your words squeezed the breath from me. I have to tell you that I sat in the middle of David's painting & your poem for ages & cried out a whole load of feelings. And, revisiting it today, I could just as easily cry again. So incredibly moving. Thank you both so much ...
ReplyDeleteYour words spoke to my spirit. My spirit feels that pain. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Peter! x
ReplyDeleteThank you Nicola :)